Bacon and eggs are a classic pairing and bacon and egg pies are a classic dish that many have enjoyed for generations.
It seems everyone has their own recipe for this dish and it’s a difficult one to get wrong.
Of all the different variations I’ve tried, surprisingly the easiest, simplest version is the one my family favours most.
It’s ridiculously easy and inexpensive to make and serves as a cheap and easy meal for the family.
Personally, I prefer a little more flourish to my bacon and egg pie and if you feel the same, please feel free to add your own personal touches to this recipe.
You can consider this recipe a base dish or “canvas” if you will, for your own culinary creation.
Variations could include:
- Frying off some chopped onion and garlic with the bacon.
- Adding peas or other vegetables.
- Adding cheese.
- Adding herbs or spices of your choice.
There are of course plenty of other options and you really are only limited by your imagination.
This recipe makes 4 medium sized pies.
I use a bench top electric pie maker or silicone pie moulds for oven use but you could use greased individual pie dishes or one 18cm diameter pie dish for this recipe.
Bacon and Egg Pies Recipe
2 x sheets ready rolled puff pastry
3 x slices of shortcut rindless bacon, chopped
Salt and pepper
1 tsp Sesame seeds to garnish
- Preheat oven to 200’c or 180’c fan forced.
- Cut base rounds from one sheet of pasty by using a circular cookie cutter, the rim of a bowl or by lying your pie dish on top of the pastry and cutting around it. Line your pie dishes with the pastry circles.
- Fry the chopped bacon until browned and sprinkle this evenly into each pie shell.
- Crack one egg into each pie shell. (Add variations as required. See intro above.)
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut smaller circles from the second sheet of pastry and place these over the top of the pie shells.
- Gently seal the edges of the pie by pressing a fork down along the edge.
- Beat the remaining egg and brush a light coating onto each pie.
- Sprinkle the pies evenly with sesame seeds.
- Bake pies for 15 – 20 minutes or until pastry is golden brown.
- Enjoy hot or cold with tomato sauce (ketchup).